- Washington area - prices showed a monthly drop of 1.2% from November to December and a decrease of 1.6% from December 2010.
- Nationwide - home prices showed a monthly drop of 3.8% from November to December and a decrease of 4% from December 2010.
When reviewing the data keep in mind:
- Report Date - These numbers are for December 2011. The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices are published on a two month lag to offset delays in sales price data from county deed recorders.
- Property Type - The index reports single-family/detached home prices only; condo and co-op sales statistics are not included in the analysis.
S&P methodology defines the Washington metropolitan area as including parts of three states and the District of Columbia:
- Washington, DC
- Maryland - Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Montgomery, and Prince Georges.
- Virginia - Alexandria City, Arlington, Clarke, Fairfax, Fairfax City, Falls Church City, Fauquier, Fredericksburg City, Loudoun, Manassas City, Manassas Park City, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren.
- West Virginia - Jefferson.
For more specific sales statistics in your neighborhood search the database of RealEstate Business Intelligence (RBI). RBI is the research component of Metropolitan Regional Information Systems (MRIS) -- the Washington area's multiple listing service. Simply enter your zip code or neighborhood and get sales statistics instantly.